Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day Five - October 15th: Naples

Well, I'm finally in a spot where I'm connected again, but rather than talk about Barcelona I'm going to pick up where I left off.

The fifth day of travel was a day trip to Naples. This was the first completely new area for me and I was excited! It's just a quick hour-and-a-half from Rome, so going for the day is no problem, though you do get back pretty late. It was threatening to rain in the evening, so we spent the morning walking to all of the smaller sights. A real surprise for me was Capella Sanservero. A sculptor named Corradini had some fantastic marble works where the entire figure was draped. Too bad they didn't allow photos, or I'd provide one.

ClosedForRestoration

When we got to Santa Maria della Anime del Purgatorio we saw this. The whole thing was closed for restoration. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

RegionalFish

Lunch in a Southern Italian style was exactly the pick me up we needed. This dish was four different types of local fish fried. I don't usually do a lot of fried, but when in Rome. . .er, Naples.

Hercules

The biggest attraction on the day was the Museo Archeologico Nazionale. Many of the best works from Herculaneum and Pompeii are housed here--specifically, the best painting, mosaic and erotic art from Roman times. Check out my flickr page for a really odd piece of erotic art - Parental Advisory!

No comments:

Post a Comment